Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Laying Low

My very good friend, Natalie, moved to town a couple of weeks ago and will be staying with us during her transition. Evan loves having the extra playmate in the house, if we could only keep him from tormenting her poor little dog... I love having her here, too - it's been so long since we've lived in the same city and been able to spend this much time together, and it's extra fun for those MSU basketball games!

Last week was my birthday, and although I don't get as excited to celebrate it as I used to, I had a great time. A few of my wonderful girlfriends and I went out to my new favorite restaurant in Denver and enjoyed one of the best meals I've ever had - what a treat to have a night out with such great food & friends! I was sick on my actual birthday, but Pete was kind enough to stay home so I could rest up and we still went out to dinner at "the club" for seafood night. The best was having Evan say "Happy Birthday, Mommy!" - and even wrapping up "gifts" for me in his menu (spoons, forks...) and presenting them to me.

We're not sure where he got it, but Evan's response to everything that we tell him "no" to lately is, "I don't get to (insert want) EVER!". Funny, but not exactly charming. The other day at the grocery store it was, "I don't get balloons EVER!". This age is constantly challenging and hilarious, as the kids learn so much every day. Just when I think I have the most difficult child on the planet, or I'm going to lose my mind, I'll have a grounding conversation with a friend who just reminds me that ALL of our kids are going through the same things right now and I'm not alone. They all have their days, they all have their specific challenges, and they all have so many wonderful wonderful things to love.

No comments: